How Can I Use Sea Moss For Children? | Is It Safe?
Your picky eater loves to munch on junk food, but you are concerned about their health? Worry no further and add this superfood to their diet. This will fulfil their nutritional needs and improve their overall well-being. The best part? You can use it in a variety of ways and can make delicious smoothies, ice creams, and salads.
As a parent, you always want the best for your child. Every parent wants their children to have a nutrient-packed diet and no parent can compromise on the health of their children.
Let us introduce you to the world of sea moss where the wonders of the ocean come to life. Sea moss is a star ingredient that will be perfect to add to your kid's diet.
That is not all – read on to have a detailed look at the advantages of sea moss for children.
But first things first, let us start with the basics- what is sea moss?
What is Sea Moss?
Sea moss is a special type of red algae that grows in the rocky parts of North America and Europe’s Atlantic Coast. It is an edible seaweed that has immense nutritional properties.
Other common names of sea moss include the following:
- Chondrus Crispus
- Carrageen Moss
- Irish Moss
Sea Moss for Kids
Luckily, this sea vegetable is packed with incredible nutrients and minerals, including calcium, zinc, iron, and magnesium. Hence, it may speed up your child's growth and strengthen their skin, hair, and bones.
As a parent, you might be concerned about whether sea moss is safe for children, and rightly so. The short and simple answer is- yes, it is safe for children.
Benefits of Sea Moss for Children
Kids nowadays love fast food, and giving them food jam-packed with nutrition is one of the most challenging jobs for parents, isn’t it?
As a parent myself, I can understand and relate to the mammoth task of making your little ones eat nutritious healthy food. This is why sea moss can be a great dietary option for kids.
Along with being nourishing, sea moss can be easily blended and mixed with items like purees and milkshakes that can be enjoyed by kids without any tantrums or fights.
Let us now shed some light on sea moss’s benefits for kids.
Sea moss optimizes cell operations, supports thyroid functioning, clears excessive mucus (a common problem in young children), and helps ease muscle pain caused by running and playing too much.
Many toddlers also suffer from stomach bugs due to their habit of eating stuff off the floor. The fibre present in sea moss helps in keeping them safe from digestive problems like constipation and abdominal pains. 4
How Much Sea Moss Should Children Take?
Kids can be given 4 to 8 grams of sea moss daily.
However, if your kids have any prior health-related issues, you should consult their pedestrians first and ask if they can have sea moss. After you get a green signal from their healthcare professional, add sea moss to your child's diet without second thoughts.
How to Add Sea Moss to a Kid’s Diet?
Here are some yummy ways to add this superstar food to your kid’s diet:
- Blend sea moss gel with any fruit pulp to make a delicious juice.
- You can add sea moss to your kid’s favourite milkshake, smoothie, or even in flavoured jams sea moss milkshake, smoothie, or even flavoured jams.
- Or you can add sea moss to a bowl of fresh salad and sprinkle a pinch of salt, black pepper, and lemon to make it delicious according to your child's preference.
The Final Takeaway
We hope after going through this guide, have a clear idea about the incredible benefits of sea moss. Sea moss can be a fantastic addition to your child's diet. Not only is it packed with nutrients, but it is also easy to incorporate into a variety of meals and snacks. As with any new food, it is important to introduce sea moss gradually and monitor your child's reaction to it.
Are you left wondering where to get authentic sea moss for your little munchkin? We have already done the guesswork for you! Check out Myla’s Moss for getting nutrient-enriched sea moss gel for your tiny tots.
Try one jar today and experience its wonderful results yourself!
How much sea moss is safe for kids?
1 to 2 tablespoons, approximately 4 to 8 grams per day of sea moss, is safe for kids. Don't exceed this quantity; otherwise, your kid will be more prone to side effects of this seaweed.
What does sea moss do for kids?
Sea moss strengthens kids' immune systems, treats their inflammation, soothes constipation, and provides their bodies with the needed nutrients.
Can I give my 2-year-old sea moss?
Yes, kids above 6 months can consume sea moss. However, it is always recommended to ask their paediatrician beforehand.
- Circuncisão, A. R., Catarino, M. D., Cardoso, S. M., & Silva, A. M. (2018). Minerals from macroalgae origin: Health benefits and risks for consumers. Marine drugs, 16(11), 400.
- Madrigal, C., Soto-Méndez, M. J., Hernández-Ruiz, Á., Ruiz-López, M. D., Samaniego-Vaesken, M. D. L., Partearroyo, T., ... & Gil, Á. (2022). Dietary Intake, Nutritional Adequacy, and Food Sources of Selected Antioxidant Minerals and Vitamins; and Their Relationship with Personal and Family Factors in Spanish Children Aged 1 to< 10 Years: Results from the EsNuPI Study. Nutrients, 14(19), 4132.
- Clark, D. C., Cifelli, C. J., & Pikosky, M. A. (2020). Growth and development of preschool children (12–60 months): A review of the effect of dairy intake. Nutrients, 12(11), 3556.
- Yang, J., Wang, H. P., Zhou, L., & Xu, C. F. (2012). Effect of dietary fiber on constipation: a meta analysis. World journal of gastroenterology: WJG, 18(48), 7378.
- Vannucci, L., Fossi, C., Quattrini, S., Guasti, L., Pampaloni, B., Gronchi, G., ... & Brandi, M. L. (2018). Calcium intake in bone health: a focus on calcium-rich mineral waters. Nutrients, 10(12), 1930.
- Kim, E. J., & Lee, H. J. (2021). Association between low potassium intake and the number of teeth in Korean adults: based on the national data (2013–2015). Scientific Reports, 11(1), 3058.